There are many ways to stretch any muscle. Some are more effective than others. The following stretch is fairly extreme and requires some caution when performing it. I have used this stretch for many years to keep my IT Bands in good condition, which also assists in knee alignment for painfree running.
Review photo on Left: The leg behind is the one that will have its IT Band stretched. Note the body posture, foot and hand positioning.
Action: Gently slide the lateral edge of the rear foot further away from the wall as you lower the body position by bending the standing knee. Your hand does not move against the wall and you will be leaning against the wall quite strongly. Review photo on Right.
- Do not bend forward at the waist.
- Do not excessively twist into the stretch.
- Do not let go of the wall.
- Do not overstretch.
- Try to keep your head up looking forward normally.
- Hold the stretch for 20-30 seconds or slide in and out of the stretch 4x in 30-40 seconds.